Thursday, May 31, 2012

Bring Magic to Boring Taupe/Beige Walls

I got a call last week from a my neighbor's son who has purchased his very first home.  He wanted help with his living room.  He likes the color red and it was his desire to have the walls on each side of his fireplace painted red.  He called me over because he wanted my opinion on this.  His goal was to lighten up the room.  He also wanted a "wow" factor.  There is a double window that faces the front of the condo and it provides the only light for the living room, kitchen, and dining area.  Here is what his living room looks like in its present state:


As you can see, it's a nice room but it needs a little help.  Typical for new construction, most builders paint the interiors of homes in the taupe family.  It's a great neutral color.  I would say that 99% of people who build or buy new homes live with the taupe walls.  People, don't be afraid of color! I studied the space for a few minutes and gave him my opinion on painting the walls next to the fireplace in red.  Painting the walls red will make the space even darker than it currently is.  Also, I don't think that solid red walls will give him the look he wants for the space.  Yes, it will add color, but it doesn't say, "Wow!"  So, here is what I proposed for the space:


"WOW!!"
I decided to do a mock-up of the space with red stripes.  The stripes add the color that he wants in his space and it also adds the "wow" factor.  It also keeps the room from being too dark.  I presented my proposal to Jeremy and his fiancé and I hope that he allows me to transform his space. 

I am also on the hunt for artwork and other accessories (pillows) to finish out the space.  I did offer a suggestion to him to have the components moved off the fireplace mantel.  There is too much going on with the fireplace mantel with the cable-box and other items.  I would like to see him get two matching chests to go on the both sides of the fireplace.  He could have the wires installed in back of the walls which would give the fireplace a cleaner look.  Here is what I envision the space would look like with matching cabinets:




Hopefully I will get the OK to get started on the stripes.  Check back in a week or two and see the magic come into reality!






No comments:

Post a Comment