Friday, October 7, 2011

My Evolving Living Room

In the 6 years I've lived in my house, I realized that my living room has under gone several transformations.  Most people purchase furniture and have it for life--not me.  In the past 25 years, I think I am on my third set of living room furniture!

In 1996, I had custom furniture made by a company called Norwalk.  I wanted furniture that nobody else would have, so I decided that custom furniture was the way to go.  I had a skirted sofa made with matching chairs.  I had a novel idea of having all three pieces covered in different, but coordinating fabric.  This started my love affair, at the time, with the color green.  The sofa fabric was a floral pattern that had sage green, burgundy, tan, and khaki colors running through it.  One chair was dark sage green with a tone-on-tone diamond pattern in the fabric.  The other chair was gold with green flecks of color in the fabric.  My niece Ashli is now the owner of this furniture. 

Here are a few photos of what the old furniture looked like.  I'm going to talk about the accessories in the room at a later post.




In 2006, I decided that I needed new furniture.  My living room is small (15 ft x 17ft).  After living with patterned furniture since 1996, I decided to go with something more neutral as a way to make the living room appear larger.  Since the walls were taupe, I wanted the furniture to blend into the walls.  So, after a trip to Ethan Allen, I had a tone-on-tone patterned sofa with a matching chair and ottoman custom made.  The second chair was covered in a paisley pattern with green being the dominant color.  Here is what I ended up with:




The new furniture was an improvement over the previous furniture, but I still didn't have the look I wanted.

If you note, everything in this room matches--furniture, walls, artwork = BORING!!!  Also, the scale of the accessories is all wrong.  The first thing I did was to change the artwork hanging over the sofa.  I liked the botanticals, but I developed a love of abstract art, so I purchased my first piece.  I think it definitely gave the living room a different look.


The next post will show the next wave of my design for my living room.

No comments:

Post a Comment